Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gunghy Bike Trip from CA to TX (II)

The obligatory shot of the Alamo. There are barracks off to the left, and grounds around it, but it really is amazing how small it is. I really didn't try to photograph it much because of the massive amount of people. I waited for a tour group to clear out to get this 'few' people.

I'm currently reading a fantasy about a world that has very little water. Combine that with California's water woes, and San Antonio's Riverwalk blew me away. This is a fountain area behind the convention center.

The river is actually 10-15 feet below street level. There is a island that is about a mile walk around and several miles of park on the main river. Most of the island and the banks across from it are lined with restaurants and hotels. The Tower of the Americas is in the background. It's similar to Seattle's Space Needle.

Sunday the 4th, 90 minutes up the road in Austin. Willy's July 4th picnic. I got here at 1:30, missed 3 bands and still saw 20 acts. This shot was taken after 11:30 at night. (That's when he started performing. I listened to the last song while in the parking lot at 1:45 AM. Food lines at the 'Picnic' were one and a half hours long, but you could get a beer with almost no wait.

Post, Texas; just out of Lubbick. Jack Ingram, one of the act the night before sang, "Some folks say the West Texas air is bad, but we know it smells like money." This was taken from the side of Texas highway 84. Just to the left was an auto supply store and a Dairy Queen. (Love DQ, and there are very few in Cal.)

During the rain on the way in, I passed a old oil derrick made out of wood. I would have loved a photo of that. On this day, I also passed a windmill supply store. Several of my rancher friends would love to have one of those here. This photo has 2 of my daughter's favorite things: An angus heifer and another angus heifer.

A 15 mile detour yielded this. I also paid 3 bucks to visit the "museum" on site. The state museum was on the highway in Fort Sumner, NM; 10 miles after the detour.

A New Mexico fixer-upper. This was on the way to Las Vegas, NM. As the natives were quick to point out, "the real Las Vegas." I have to agree, since Vegas means 'meadows.' Lots of those in southern Nevada.

Note: Gunghy finished 13 miles short of 4000 in 11 days in his Yamaha Raider in early July. This is part II of his series. Click here for all the Gunghy photos.

No comments: