Sunday, September 5, 2010

John Lampkin Travel Guide Images

These are some images from my travel guide about "El Chepe," the passenger train that runs for 390 miles through Mexico's Copper Canyon. Opened after decades of construction in 1961, the railway connects the Pacific Ocean with Mexico's central desert. The trains are kept spotlessly clean inside and out, so much so that the outside of the train can act like a mirror. I hung a few feet out of a window and snapped away. The result was hundreds of photographs of stunning reflections of passing trains and terrain during the nine-hour journey. Here are mercifully just a few. Please click on the photo to enlarge to a higher resolution.

The trip started just after dawn, so the headlights were still turned on.


Freight trains also use the same route. Here are some tankers coming towards us.

Here we pulled over to let one pass. One of the workers flashed the peace sign to me, but why was that other guy holding a pineapple? I will never know.


While the train stopped to take on fuel and supplies, we had an opportunity to buy crafts from the native Tarahumara, a word you will likely never see in a crossword. Here is tip #279 from my book which I haven’t written yet called, “Ten Tips for Improving Your Shots So That People Are Fooled Into Thinking That You Are a Better Photographer Than You Actually Are”: Tilt your camera at a strange angle.


Trains are romantic places to be sure. I staged this shot though. A couple was bickering at each other as they passed me in a vestibule. Seizing the opportunity to get an “Ah gee” shot while saving their marriage, I buttonholed them and physically pushed them together and encouraged them kiss while I snapped away. You can tell they weren't into it. Did this save their marriage? I will never know.

So here is the CABOOSE of a passing train. Looks just like all the other cars in the train. Why? We may never know. Such is life.


The commentary and images above are excerpts from John Lampkin, an avid Nature photographer. @2010 John Lampkin. If you are interested in John's photographs, music or other artistic work, please visit his website.

No comments: