Friday, September 24, 2010

First to Fight!

Theme: Happy Birthday, Jarhead! - A birthday tribute puzzle to our Marine Dennis.

19A. Classic movie about US Marines : SANDS OF IWO JIMA. John Wayne film. Dennis probably likes Clint Eastwood's "Flags of Our Fathers" better. But it has too many letters.

36A. US Marine Corps motto : SEMPER FIDELIS. The motto is on his car license plate.

55A. Start of a slogan for US Marines : THE FEW, THE PROUD. The Marines, who never leave their buddies behind.

I initially had five theme entries, but had a hard time coming up with a clean and workable grid, not to mention sprinkling in a few must-have Dennis related entries: DENNIS (of course), MOREL (of course), AARON (his favorite baseball player) & BEAR (his nickname).

At Don "Hard G" Gagliardo's advice, I got less ambitious and went with three solid theme answers. Was able to pepper in as many Dennis references as I could. Still missed out fitting in his lovely wife Linda.

Across:

1. Dict. entries : WDS (Words). Abbreviation start is never good. But I had to add a black square in the corner because I really wanted WHO AM I paralleling DENNIS.

4. Happy as ___ : A CLAM. He certainly is. So is Lucia.

9. G.I. chow : MRES. Yeah, another Marine reference.

13. The old you : THEE

14. Coeur d'___, Idaho : ALENE

15. Move, in Realtor lingo : RELO

16. Top-notch : A-ONE

17. Make a midi a mini : REHEM. Don't you want a pair of legs like these?

18. Rare blood type, for short : B NEG. Dennis' is AB Positive, rare too.

22. U.K. record label : EMI

23. Blown-up letters? : TNT

24. Infuriated : RAGING

26. It takes you to a new level : RISER. Well, Lois, what do you say?

28. Kind of energy : SOLAR

31. Negative link : NOR

32. Don's followers? : MOB. Mafia mob. Shout-out to Don G, who is just as brilliant as you've all been picturing, and more!

34. Wetland : FEN. And SOG (12D. Wet thoroughly, in British dialect). Wet clecho.

35. Longest Spanish river : EBRO

40. Crafty : CAGY

41. Dead heat : TIE

42. Small cells : AAs

43. Dot follower : ORG. Yeah, I clued this one with our Dot and her husband Irv in mind.

44. Magnetism : CHARM. Hmm, animal magnetism!

46. Touch to the tongue : TASTE. Quadruple alliteration.

50. Language named for a mathematician : PASCAL (Blaise). Loved his quote: The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing.

52. PC core : CPU


54. Half of sex- : TRI. "Sex" is Latin for "six". Knew the clue would get Dennis' attention.

59. Broke ground : HOED. Whatever Lois says!

60. Drummer's cymbal : HI-HAT. Our birthday boy was a drummer before.

61. "My treat!" : ON ME

62. Eye up and down : OGLE

63. Handle on a B-29? : ENOLA. Enola Gay.

64. Yogi, for one : BEAR. This nickname does not seem to fit Dennis, does it?

65. Topless? : BALD

66. Prized mushroom : MOREL. Well, everyone knows Dennis is our MOREL guy.

67. East end? : ERN. Eastern. Could see the groan from Jazzbumpa.

Down:

1. End of many a riddle : WHO AM I? He's 2D.

2. Noted menace : DENNIS. Dennis the Menace. My first non-theme fill in the blank grid, naturally.

3. Flower child? : SEED. Would I drive you nuts if I clued it as "Onan spilled his"?

4. Alphabetically first name in baseball Hall-of-Fame, or in the Bible : AARON. Hank Aaron is the true Home Run king.

5. Chin features, like Cary Grant : CLEFTS. "Like Cary Grant" is nice addition from Don G. Handsome dude.

6. Where Samson defeated the Philistines : LEHI. Unknown fact to me. Dodgy entry, I know. But I needed AARON at 4D and wanted A CLAM for 4A (Dennis is forever happy and positive). Tried to put a black square at where number 24 is to eliminate LEHI. The result was not satisfactory. Sorry. Hope it's obtainable via crossings.

7. Once more : ANEW.

8. Work notes : MEMORANDA

9. Top dog : MR BIG. One of my earlier entries as well.

10. Chinese currency : RENMINBI. Often abbreviated as RMB. I figured I needed an answer to reflect my background. And I warned you last Saturday about the fill (literally "people's money"), used by more than 1.3 billion people in the world. The obverse is a portrait of Mao Zedong. Gimmie for Jayce I hope!

11. Roosevelt and Parker : ELEANORS

13. It's stunning : TASER

20. Work on the cutting edge : STROP

21. Cookie holder : JAR. Cookie...

25. Miracle-____ : GRO. Used some on our tomato plant one year. Oh my God. It grew as high as I was. Not many tomatoes though.

27. Award since 1949 : EMMY

29. Put forward : OFFER. And LEI (30. Hawaiian band?). Just for Lois.

33. City of Jesus : BETHLEHEM

35. "Born Free" lioness : ELSA

36. ____ Springs, New York : SARATOGA

37. Shade of white : EGGSHELL

38. Fjord relative : RIA

39. Gobble : EAT UP

40. Beat-nik? : COP

44. Half-____ (coffee order) : CAF

45. Celtics legend Kevin : McHALE. I intended to trick you into picturing Kevin Garnett; did you? Here is a picture of those two together. Both were with Minnesota Timberwolves for some time.

47. One without sin? : STONER. Let he (or is it him?) who is without sin cast the first stone. My original is SCONES, thinking it's delicious to cross TASTE with SCONES, but then I ended up with SSN for 67A (after changing 58D ROBE into ROBS). I like when letter S is used only when necessary, so "No Scones for You! Next!".

48. Marshall Plan signer : TRUMAN. Yep, I picked up this fill with JD's grandson Truman in mind.

49. Duck down : EIDER

51. Gave up : CEDED

53. "He loves me" piece : PETAL. So dewy.

56. Port authority? : WINO. Port wine.

57. God with a hammer : THOR. Norse thunder god. One of my earlier fill as well. Dennis can get quite angry when something unjust happens.

58. Court coverup? : ROBE

59. Fireplace shelf : HOB.

Answer grid.

Puzzles: Here is pdf version. Here is puz file (Across Lite). You can click here and solve it on line.

C.C.

No comments: