Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gunghy Bike Trip from CA to TX (III)

Could you imagine Las Vegas, NV operating out of this?

Historic Las Vegas. This is only 25 miles from Santa Fe with its South-West architecture. I didn't spend any time in Santa Fe, it's either a week or two of museum visits or a screaming run from blatant tourism. I didn't have 2 weeks, so I ran screaming.

12 X 12 tiles. This was my introduction to a South West Monsoon. My first clue that I hadn't dodged the cell was taking one of the marble-sized ones in the bicep while doing about 80 MPH.

45 - 60 minutes of this. I always thought that monsoons would be warm. But between Las Vegas and Santa Fe, it's about 6,000 feet high and I needed to put on every stitch I had afterwards. I found this place only 2 miles after the storm hit, but was soaked in that time.

Typical north NM terrain. I took this less than 30 minutes after the storm when I stopped to strip down again. There was no sign of rain in this area.

There were lots of signs around warning about rattlesnakes. For some reason, they didn't request that we not pick the flowers.

Camel Rock, about 20 miles north of Santa Fe. I couldn't get around to the side to shoot at the angle that really looked like a camel. It would have meant a long hike or stopping on the freeway.

This is part III of Gunghy's series. The scenic ones. Click here for all the Gunghy photos.

No comments: