Monday, July 19, 2010

Kazie Oz Pictures (Part IX, Final Installment)

My friend lives in an inner northern suburb. But she has daily visits from a collection of wildlife, which she feeds as if they were her children. Here a native brush turkey.

This is a wallaby. Not the best one of me--in slippers first thing in the morning. But I include it to show how tame he is--eating a piece of apple right between the two of us.

A sulphur crested cockatoo waiting for his breakfast.

One morning I was doing dishes, and looked up to find these two rainbow lorikeets sitting on the edge of the window outside, wondering where their breakfast was. They were still there after I ran to the bedroom to get my camera.

A fruit and veg. shop in a shopping mall near my friend's house. Prices are per kilo. I was astounded at the high cost of food in general in Oz this time. The continuing drought is blamed, but compared with here, I'm sure the cheap (often illegal) labor is what keeps prices down for us.

A marina at Brooklyn, a fishing/resort village just outside the northern extremities of Sydney. We were at a seafood restaurant eating the catch of the day for lunch.

Another of my son's shots, just to show something else you don't see in tourist brochures: a garden in Sydney's downtown Hyde Park with St. Mary's Cathedral in the background.

Sydney's newest major bridge: the Anzac Bridge. And yes, there was a lot of haze that day. Behind it is the city skyline and the Sydney Tower with its viewing level and restaurant at the top.

Crossing the Anzac Bridge. There are statues at each end of an Australian soldier, but I wasn't fast enough to include him in this photo. A-N-Z-A-C is an acronym for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, and Anzac Day, April 25, memorializes their valor on that day in 1915 in Gallipoli. It is Oz's equivalent to Veterans' Day but is a public holiday for everyone. There are lots of Anzac avenues, parades, streets, roads and lanes in Sydney's suburbs.

From Kazie:

So that's it, C.C! I regret not having got more digital pix of Sydney, but I really felt I wanted to avoid the touristy stuff and concentrate on people while I was there this time. There were a couple of shows in a travel series late Saturday night on the "Create" channel, first on New Zealand, and then on Oz. I wonder if anyone else caught them?

No comments: